Friday, March 9, 2012

End of Toy Story:


It was the year when I started watching cricket. Having grown in a family where cricket was a battle ground with band of children at one side favouring India and a hostile uncle always favouring opposing team at other side, I found passion for cricket at very early stage of my life. None of the passion can take a complete form until and unless it doesn’t revolve around a personality, a personality which not only arouses an intense passion around you but also gives you an ideal form to idolize. But that time none was around in cricket whom I can make my icon (Sachin hype was too much for me and my small mind was not ready to accept him, in fact I never liked him much), but I didn’t have to wait for long. Arrival of the magical Rahul in cricket world marked the beginning of magical passion of cricket in my world. He is my favourite icon from that moment. In that way I have a very long relationship with him that has touched every sphere of my life, directly or indirectly.

News of his retirement was devastating for me, and I could not help myself from being sad and desolate. Today I was bombarded with the tweet related to Rahul’s retirement with everyone had something to say about Rahul. I too wanted to express but felt 140 words tweet or facebook status message won’t be enough. I decided to write blog. Sadness in me was so deep that it had to be channelled through some medium, and being a private person, writing is the only option where I can dump my emotion and feel relatively lighter.

Each and every inning of Rahul was something for which I have always looked forward. Passion is some rare event in my life and there are bunch of sport stars who have successfully managed to infuse it into me and Rahul was in lead among them. He has always been with me, from my childhood to till now. I ruined my IIT mains while following each and every moment of ongoing India Pakistan test series, but I don’t regret it ;) . Among all form of Cricket I love Test match the most and credit goes entirely to Dravid.

He was a perfect role model. A guy who looks so familiar and neighbourly. I never met him and I don’t want to, in future. I want to keep him in my mind as the person I idolized and revered. He has a very special place in my life and I doubt whether it would be filled by someone else. With the end of era of Rahul Dravid a whole era in my life has come to an end, an era that is marked with my passionate childhood, my toy story. An absolute vacuum has engulfed the next phase of my life. I wonder, would this vacuum be filled in near future? Answer is not so easy J

No comments:

Post a Comment